Hi, my name is Jennifer, the artist and owner of Under Open Skies. I created my own art business so I could share my passion to create with others. I want to capture your furry friend’s cherished moments in portraits and photos that will last a lifetime. I want to bring you to exotic places or close encounters in the wilderness through my travel photography. I want to help you find that perfect one of a kind gift you’ve been looking for to give to the friend who has always been there for you. I want to create beautiful pieces that brighten your day when you see them at home. Under Open Skies is a way for me to share the things I love with other people who love the same things too.
I’ve never been fond of writing about myself in third person with a resume in paragraph format, it feels cold and impersonal. So I decided to tell you about myself in a more creative way with a few fun facts below.
Fifteen Fun Facts about Me
- I graduated from Penn State University. We Are! (Someone give me a “Penn State!”) I wanted to be a lawyer or a veterinarian so I earned a degree in Political Science and Equine Science. Then I joined the United States Air Force instead.
- I am the third generation in my family to serve in the Air Force, but the first female. We have family in every branch of the military. I am very proud to serve with each of them.
- My first camera was a purple and teal Point N’ Shoot 110 by Vivitar, a gift from my grandma. I walked through Disney World with the view finder to my face the entire time.
- I currently shoot with a Canon 40D but still have my childhood purple camera. It is important to remember your roots and why you love doing what you do!
- I’ve been riding horses since I was eight years old and currently own a young Palomino Zweibrücker (German Warmblood) named Mahailia.
- Mahailia was halter broke when we welcomed her into our family and now, with the support and assistance of my wonderful husband, I am training her under saddle.
- I was born on Valentine’s Day. Since most people aren’t free to celebrate my birthday on the actual day, I celebrate Birthday Week. It is an awesome annual week long party! My husband gets me a gift for each day; did I mention he is an awesome guy?
- 99.9% of the margins of my homework growing up were covered with puppy and pony related doodles. My English teachers banned me from using horses as a writing topic.
- I get really excited every fall for pumpkin beer and Halloween! I really want to dress my horse up as a unicorn.
- When I was twelve years old, I gathered up all my best pencil drawings and tried to run an art business. I owe a lot to wonderful friends and neighbors who encouraged my crazy dream!
- My mom is also an Artist. I am biased, but she is truly talented. I try to feature her work as a guest artist as much as possible. I would love to run an art and tea shop together with her one day.
- I’ve never lived in one place longer than 3 years and I love it! I’ve lived in New Mexico, Colorado, Maryland, Oklahoma, Alabama, North Carolina, Portugal, England, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, and Wyoming. I currently live in Maryland, consider myself “from” Pennsylvania (if I have to choose), and plan to settle down in Colorado (if I can).
- I have two wonderful dogs, Fox the German Shepherd and Denali the Husky. We call Fox the “Woo Woo” or “Fuzzy Bear” and Denali is “Yub Yub” or “Fluffy Bunny Puppy”.
- I’ve become a long distance running junkie.
- I love, love, LOVE creating; it is a chance to share a part of who you are with others. Sometimes that can be scary, but one of my favorite things is to see faces light up when I give them their creation. I love making people smile!